积分
威望
包包

精华勋章 金话筒 优秀会员

楼主
发表于 2011-6-14 22:44 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
Voice from last issue:
5 V9 S( a( z9 H
7 ~% G; K: [: h4 ~9 }4 z9 |"Stemcells can be used to treat various life threatening diseases. Parents take various steps to ensure safe and secure future of their child. One small, but very significant step towards securing the health of your child is by storing the stem cells of your new born."--Actress and television anchor Mandira Bedi.
+ ^; H& ^* r4 p' n4 \0 m2 K% x# i" G
“We wanted to know whether we could fully immerse the students in stem cell research in a way that integrated biology with practical instruction like lab work, while also talking about the ethical and legal dimensions of what they were doing. I think we demonstrated that you can design a course that contains both hard science and the humanities that will give students practical skills they can use in a future career.”--Bioethicist and course designer Christopher Scott.
5 q  V; W2 L2 j6 E
- P+ X6 t2 Q" H/ y; }"More excitingly, we found that stem cells empowered with IGF-I restored the formation of new bone in a mouse lacking the ability to repair broken bones. This is the first evidence that stem cell therapy can address a deficiency of fracture repair."--Anna Spagnoli, MD, associate professor of pediatrics and biomedical engineering at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine.) h# y  s# ?& ]4 U
* r3 j: E" E- p! H$ y4 X
“Basically, while the cells are reprogrammed, their epigenetic memory remains that of the original cells, and essentially they have characteristics of an aged genome.”--Prof Frank Barry, who directs the National Centre for Biomedical Engineering Science at NUI Galway and is a principal investigator at the Regenerative Medicine Institute (Remedi).
- D7 l& V- W6 y+ Y# O4 V+ t3 R( m3 r0 l
“One of the key, and as yet unanswered questions in cell‐based therapeutics, is when in the course of human illness to intervene. Traditional wisdom suggests that sooner is better...It is unlikely that all patients will benefit from cell‐based therapies. Factors related to patient selection need careful consideration, especially concerning stage and severity of disease, the patient’s prior therapies, and the need for immunosuppression as well as many other factors.”--Dr. John Sladek, a professor of the University of Colorado College of Medicine’s Departments of Neurology and Pediatrics./ l- ]  _1 F4 V  y5 j% K

# f% W- L( a6 g1 @+ ^“I strongly believe that one of the major responsibilities of scientists is to convey their discoveries to the general public, assuring it is appropriate to a specific audience, so that responsible and informed choices can be made. The CIHR-Synapse Award recognizes and acknowledges the importance of such an effort.”--Alessandra Pasut, Let’s Talk Science volunteer at the University of Ottawa.. A) j- Y1 B: B; J( J

5 M& ?4 `; ]8 b; F% ^
9 h. W% d9 n# H( FThis issue:
0 H4 h$ u2 L+ z! J! l
! z/ k0 a, F2 w% M+ L
3 N: V6 B- u' O3 J& X/ M0 I5 Q6 X$ l- r" \$ I& [* ^
Video news:
6 Y1 E$ Z. V- A  G8 }: M: ~- \- A! OScientists and Doctors Healing Hearts with Stem Cells. u) o  J: p! E' Q( V* P* }4 B% H& S
http://www.redorbit.com/news/vid ... h_stem_cells/28463/
附件: 你需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?注册
已有 2 人评分威望 包包 收起 理由
tpwang + 10 + 18 极好资料
细胞海洋 + 30 + 50 极好资料

总评分: 威望 + 40  包包 + 68   查看全部评分

积分
威望
包包
沙发
发表于 2011-6-17 14:08 |只看该作者
哈哈( i& K! p5 Q+ [# H1 v& N) _0 n