干细胞之家 - 中国干细胞行业门户第一站

搜索
朗日生物

免疫细胞治疗专区

欢迎关注干细胞微信公众号

查看: 824807|回复: 310
go

[干细胞与细胞生物学类] pdf电子书:The Proteus Effect: Stem Cells and Their Promise for Medicine [复制链接]

积分
威望
包包

小小研究员

楼主
发表于 2009-4-28 00:33 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
本书由电子书专区新任版主telomerase 提供,非常感谢! K) I5 B! ~, m# l
! ~" O5 T- w- i
The Proteus Effect: Stem Cells and Their Promise for Medicine
  J/ R& S; |& T6 o3 z: M* dBy Ann B. Parson
! a3 u/ C  ~, M& M( Y' y4 Z* ^( m+ x$ ^$ n& M& p7 ~

) q4 U# c' K' Y/ h; B2 d4 Z
) O$ t/ G9 S! f$ ]Publisher:   Joseph Henry Press
$ u. f4 k0 Q. ?  o7 ]& A7 I$ X; BNumber Of Pages:   312
; \5 g* _7 C( l" pPublication Date:   2004-09-21
" e* g+ X9 E8 z! ], H2 I7 MISBN-10 / ASIN:   0309089883
' h6 ]# u2 V* R# jISBN-13 / EAN:   9780309089883 " Q4 K! {3 s5 B. V  z8 i

1 x$ S9 m" R( J
9 X/ Q# U' j/ ~9 L& kProduct Description:
0 _+ Q# g  B% u* [. h8 M$ u! o3 k3 K+ K! u1 u! w# {1 X
"Stem cells hold particular promise for unlocking life-saving secrets of the cell..." -- National Academy of Sciences
9 G/ L' R: ~* w: y$ l$ Q8 W7 [4 i1 o1 {
Cutting edge stem cell research could pave the way to a bold new era in medicine, providing cell-based treatments -- perhaps even cures -- for scores of diseases and illnesses. But what exactly are these biological wonders -- these things called stem cells? And what promise do they really hold for medicine? As acclaimed author Ann Parson suggests, one way to measure the future is to first search back through the past to take stock of how humans have gradually awakened to these distinctive, often camouflaged, cells in our midst and slowly come to recognize their worth. ( t6 T) H# g& ^+ T7 Z# \6 D
- h# H6 |6 P" L8 I! f6 m. ?% Y
The story of stem cell technologies is at once compelling, controversial, and remarkable. Part detective story, part medical history, The Proteus Effect describes early scientific discoveries that date back as far as 1740 before proceeding into the present to recount the incredible events leading to the discovery of stem cells in animal tumors, in the blood of mice, in the brains of canaries, in human embryos, and then in the skin, liver, and other organs of grown humans. It looks at the explosive potential of these special cells for the future of medicine. 0 b! m# V* G& U2 X, q
( T0 d3 ^3 \. ^
Stem cells are the clay of life waiting for the cellular signal that will coax them into taking on the shape of the beating muscle cells of the heart, insulin-producing cells of the pancreas, or message-carrying cells of the central nervous system. Manipulate them the right way, turn them into the right type of cell, and it’s possible that stem cells could be used to counter (or cure) diseases such as Parkinson's, diabetes, heart disease, autoimmune disorders -- even infertility or baldness! $ C2 Y3 z; B. `$ `# u
1 F5 X: L: P2 J6 T
But should scientists be allowed to pick apart five-day-old embryos in order to retrieve stem cells? And when stem cells whisper to us of immortality -- they can divide and perpetuate new cells indefinitely -- how do we respond? Stem cells are forcing us not only to reexamine how we define the beginning of life but how we come to terms with the end of life as well. But these cells are such stunning creations that anyone stopping to peer at them cannot help but admire them for the qualities that go far beyond their uses as simple tools for human medicine. In the end, stem cells open our eyes to the presence of forces in Nature that are far greater than anything humans could imagine or invent. 8 H) j; T& e: T( s0 q- r1 u

9 \3 \2 Y, ]( D" gMeticulously researched, artfully balanced, and engagingly told, Ann B. Parson chronicles a scientific discovery in progress, exploring the ethical debates, describing the current research, and hinting of a spectacular new era in medicine. The Proteus Effect is as timely as it is riveting.
. }$ Z- O- I' I: J- p: j) S$ G/ N+ {7 f0 }8 h5 `) `3 M

1 o0 S$ X! x! ]( s& _, Q8 d. e5 c& @8 {) [
3 }5 z/ }5 P: n2 d' n# v
Summary: Well written - though vital info wasn't cited6 @. [' {$ H9 Q) H5 g( {
Rating: 1- I( N' F- ~3 B7 X8 U+ A( u
# {0 A" D6 J9 c/ B
Ms. Parson has the human touch of rendering scientific literature in a reader-friendly way, and for that she's to be commended. But as I mentioned in my much lengthier review of "Stem Cell Now" (by Scott), the reason I rated this with only one star, is solely because I wanted to get the message across that many stem cell authors, such as Parson & Scott, have omitted vital info. Namely, the electronic aspect of the body, and that injuries (or "salt-in-wound effect" and, IMO, also the UV-activated densely-packed salt at Dead Sea) create a "Current Of Injury" and that's what stimulates regeneration, as researched by Dr. Robert Becker (brilliant author of The Body Electric).
- ?3 M# f) o( l( b# s! t( ]; _
! Q$ O* V; L0 \" JMany stem cell researchers & authors don't explain (as Becker did) about the importance of enabling a neuro-epidermal junction, such that channels remain open between the neurons and blastema, nor do they explain that positive & negative electromagnetic pulsing expedites the regenerative process, and that salamanders, who regenerate very easily have a higher proportion of neurons concentrated at their extremities than humans do, which is why they may heal so much more efficiently than humans. That's why Becker applied electronic pulses to expedite the healing process, and why his patient, who suffered an osteomyelitic, shattered leg, was so fortunate to have Becker as his doctor, rather than most other ponderously robotic quacks of the antiquated system.
3 `7 Y4 e2 L8 L1 Q7 m4 C7 U  s: t* i
[ahem] you never know, maybe Ms. Parson, Mr. Scott, or some other science author will come across these reviews, and be motivated to write books which are more all-encompassing of the issues I hashed out, particularly the last few paragraphs of the Stem Cell Now review.
9 a: k# `& q2 I& p. `
* H6 [9 p0 q+ Q& u/ M2 \. w& f1 B
% k- C4 Y2 O* t- l9 n/ A7 {$ b
Summary: Well balanced & engaging5 A( i( m( j6 R7 V. c7 ~# q
Rating: 58 V8 R/ A8 j8 D. t1 B3 W

; k" }! o' S6 g- d! B* TParson has done an excellent job in presenting various aspects of the stem cell field in an engaging & vivid manner. Supported by her extensive research & interviews, the content of 'The Proteus Effect' is well balanced, with fascinating & concise information in areas including: history, science, people, commercial potential, political & ethical issues. It is refreshing to see how Parson managed to make a complicated science come to life.- a$ G% d1 `4 v: J

& i6 t9 }' P7 P: B
0 b8 S+ R: f6 P1 T1 v- |' F7 D( m1 y
Summary: A historical look at the discovery of the stem cell9 m: ?) E/ q2 n6 ~! O2 ]8 D( b
Rating: 59 T- C, x! w% ~- `* R# A
2 u- T, A) v+ x$ O
Abraham Trembley and the hydra, Roy Stevens and Mouse 129, and the purple cell.
% `; ?  D8 Y4 f# ^) t7 e. Y" {+ F
' r$ U+ x4 {3 Q9 V2 n" tThis is an important book to read because Anne Parson ties together the historical events and patterns that establish the modern understanding of the Stem Cell. 0 l- K( h- ^: ~/ J
+ U' }9 C5 l  M9 S0 v
Blood Stem cells. 25 Trillion blood cells exist in the blood and every second 2 million blood cells die and are replaced. The key was to find the pluripotent stem cell that differentiated into the blood cell. Find the original parent was like looking for a needle in a haystack. Researcher found that mice with defective bone marrow (damaged by radiation) could be restored by translates of marrow stem cells injected directly in the blood. The bone marrow transplant in essence restored the bone marrow stem cells to functional and normal status. 8 n& E+ T/ T3 @
3 W9 B& W0 F9 q1 l; c2 `6 j; O
Human leukocyte antigens (HLA) protein are found on the surface of the the cell. The HLA help the immune system decide what cells are foreign and should be destroyed. The immune system destroys the cells by creating antibodies and other substances.
5 q+ O0 D/ K7 V% Q4 M
( S4 n7 v) A( C4 M7 RIn syngeneic transplants, patients receive stem cells from their identical twin.
& X( y6 u' I+ @9 C& ?) d7 ^7 `' T( h
Allogeneic transplants. The patients receive stem cells from someone other than the patient or an identical twin. For a bone marrow transplant to work, the recipient's immune system needs to have a way to keep the immune system (T-Cells) from destorying the donated marrow. The HLA in the donated donated marrow cells must be identical. : H( S. _, U) P# f: d) |  g7 `2 s
! v4 z( t8 k+ r. a
HLA-A, HLA-B, and HLA-DR were used to determine a match between a donor and recipient. A total of six antigens from the donor must match the six antigens of the recipient.
% H2 @3 P. V, R2 j. O( @9 v1 h* m6 \+ X* V: r# ?
Autologous transplants. The patient receives the harvested stem cells and these stem cell integrate and produce new blood cells. The harvested stem cells come from the blood, peripheral blood stem cell transplantation. The stem cells are frozen until they are ready to be transplanted. The patient receives the stem cells back into their blood.
0 `, m, N% U) B5 K
7 k5 |2 [3 D5 ]# M. ~After entering the bloodstream, the stem cells travel to the bone marrow, where they begin to produce new white blood cells, red blood cells, and platelets in a process known as "engraftment."
$ Y$ H6 S8 x% }, y% A" b3 [
$ {4 _" `7 X; c* Y+ d3 pNeurogensis. Female Canary bird brains could increase in size by introducing a hormone causing maleness destroying the myth that neurons did not produce after birth. In 1960, Joseph Altman found evidence of new cells in the hippocampus of an adult rat brain. In 1988, scientist showed the adult human brain produces new neurons. Stem cells in the brain produce either neurons or glia, the glue that holds the neurons together. After the neuron is generated, it migrates to a specific part of the brain and differentiates, as a, sensory neuron or motor neuron or interneuron. As the brain develops, molecular signals from other cells help determine the shape and location.   c0 e$ c6 }" N! I" |2 m

& t! u9 j) _$ \/ z4 m9 L
% v3 @% q3 L( H. A# O5 h$ U% O8 D3 }( _) S6 ~2 w# x* A

" t$ H. H2 C" Z& k4 hSummary: A look at what research into fetal stem cells has to say
! }' S& H) }7 Z; @$ [2 bRating: 5# M# w5 y9 J$ D* `
& y8 E: }, Y, A. B1 t' T' M4 o* l
Science journalist Ann B. Parson presents The Proteus Effect: Stem Cells And Their Promise For Medicine, a fascinating look at what research into fetal stem cells has to say about not only the latest modern medicine, but also the aging process and the destiny of humanity itself. Going from scientific discoveries in 1740 to the cutting-edge research of the modern day, The Proteus Effect looks at not only issues of research and learning, but also political and social concerns regarding stem cell research and ethical questions of a morally slippery slope. An absolute must-read for anyone seeking to learn more about this controversial research and the new discoveries constantly being gleaned from it. & r2 W6 L* B! W0 D
; ^7 w- ~: W3 \; J& l+ n# N

1 B0 o. f5 A$ C& b6 ~- C; r# N2 o( M4 {4 H6 s
5 T. R* Z- h- v
Summary: Unique treatment of an important subject# L- A- z& ^4 Y; }% U7 G% |
Rating: 52 Q; Q6 o- |7 x. `! ~
* y: I) \$ d% m2 ?/ t+ g& q
I have been active in biomedical research advocacy for many years, and in stem cell advocacy for the past four years , and Ann Parson's book is, without a doubt, the best treatment of this subject I have seen yet. Whether you have a science background, are a patient or patient's family member, or just wondered what Ron Reagan was doing at the Democratic convention, you have probably struggled to understand the complexity of stem cell technology. This is a task that has been complicated by all the media "noise" surrounding the field -- the ethical debates, the economic stakes, and the adversarial political climate.
2 Q( e* ~" k4 N4 N7 f; _" U; x- P8 g7 ?9 m9 {8 A
Ann Parson doesn't ignore these issues, but she cuts through and moves beyond them by doing something no one else has thought of doing: she deconstructs the science of stem cells. She takes us back to 1740, to the very earliest biological inquiry into animal regeneration properties, and then brings us forward in time to the present, stacking up the building blocks of acquired knowledge, experiment by experiment, scientist by scientist, until we find ourselves immersed in the goals and implications of stem cell science. Parson gives us lots of scientific information, but suffuses it with human interest and context, making it eminently readable by people of all backgrounds. If you feel like you have a citizen's obligation to figure out what the debate is all about - from the historical, medical, ethical and political perspectives - this is the book to start with.  C9 {& s- |; v3 b
1 T* F3 A% F" A) I, D5 y/ S! Q
附件为pdf全文下载地址,回复本贴可见4 o; j6 _  @, b/ h8 i
6 U: h' ^! ?! R2 E; l3 {! o
游客,如果你要查看本帖隐藏内容请回复

积分
威望
包包
沙发
发表于 2009-5-4 15:44 |只看该作者
很想看

积分
威望